- read me!
- real examples
This website is free and without cookies, it expresses opinions, and disclaims any responsibility
1. Read me!
]. Hypnosis is a NATURAL and NORMAL functioning of the human and animal organism, and it's extremely versatile, but because of its mainly involuntary (spontaneous) nature, it is usually unnoticed and poorly recognized as a potential SELF-HELP, and ignorant people mistakenly associate hypnosis with magic, miracles, or cures, while actually it's simply an internal process that doesn't need any operator. Too many people, in my opinion, work hypnotically in a uniformed and delusional way, and misrepresent hypnosis by expressions like "undergo the hypnotic technique", or "administer suggestions", or, even worse, "cure by hypnosis", thus raising the same fog of mystery that is invariably exploited by stage hypnotists and all other charlatans. In order to protect yourself from these traps IT IS ENOUGH TO KEEP IN MIND THE FOLLOWING KEY POINTS:
- IN PRESENCE OF SYMPTOMS ALWAYS CONSULT A PHYSICIAN, because, despite the fact that hypnotic training is fully innocuous and there is no demonstrable harm at all, the hypnotherapist cannot do diagnostic checkups, nor can prescribe or administer remedies, and therefore to avoid diagnoses or medical cures can be dangerous for your health.
- HYPNOTHERAPY IS NOT A CURE NOR A SUBSTITUTE OF IT, that is it can only help to alleviate symptoms, but it cannot cure any illness. Therefore the optimal attitude is to nurture the hypnotism as a sort of natural lifestyle that recognizes the value of general self-help, which therefore can be potentially useful also as a possible complement to therapies.
- ALL HYPNOSIS IS AUTO-HYPNOSIS. Those who train themselves in hypnotic phenomena realize very soon that the influence on their physical and mental functions is fully dependent on personal efforts and abilities, and certainly not on some operator, and hence to associate hypnosis with healthcare is deceiving, limiting, and wrong. In fact hypnosis is not a thing that is administered, but it is instead a self-induced personal experience, which the operator cannot produce but, at best, can only contribute to stimulate and to facilitate.
- THERE ARE NO TRUSTWORTHY PROOFS FOR THE EFFICACY OF HYPNOTHERAPY, despite the availability of thousands of favourable scientific publication. In fact, a satisfactory hypnotic experience doesn't warrant similar results with another person (or even with the same person), and therefore nobody can say if and how hypnosis will be useful. This is why every alleged indication of use and efficacy of hypnosis is unreliable, and even a beginner discovers very quickly that benefits, if any, are individual and not generalizable. Therefore, if someone presents hypnosis publicly with promises of results or by making people believe that it is a therapy or an approach of proven efficacy, in my opinion this is a scam against the consumers.
2. Real examples
]. It is important to become definitely aware of the fundamental fact that HYPNOSIS IS NOTHING ELSE THAT A VERY COMMON AND NORMAL PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, devoid of magic or miraculous powers, and, actually, sometimes completely useless. Since the beginning of my professional practice as hypnotherapist I have always informed many physicians, which have often shown curiosity and interest for my work; in fact they refer to me a lot of their patients for an auto-hypnotic training, and they also asked me to publish on my internet website a description of the hypnotic experiences, in order to better understand the usefulness of hypnotherapy as a complement to medicine. So, during time I have collected the most interesting cases, and I have presented them in an anecdotal form. In order to avoid misunderstandings, the reader should soundly keep in mind several ESSENTIAL CHARACTERISTICS OF MY WORK, which implement, in my opinion, a very good CLIENT-PROTECTION SCHEME: 1) in presence of clinical symptoms A PERSON MUST ALWAYS CONSULT A PHYSICIAN BEFORE COMING TO ME for learning hypnosis, otherwise I won't accept them as clients, and I refuse to cooperate; 2) the reports are based on clients' words, that is on personal impressions, subjective feelings, individual beliefs, and therefore, even if the experience has been pleasurable and satisfactory, this doesn't proves in any way that the hypnotic work has been effective or useful, that is THE EXPERIENCES REPORTED HERE HAVE NO SCIENTIFIC NOR CLINICAL VALUE, but they have only a mere informative anecdotical meaning, and they are cited because the common everyday needs of real people take precedence over the protocols of the scientific research; 3) all the experts describe hypnosis as innocuous and potentially useful as a contribution to the wellbeing, and therefore IT IS CONVENIENT TO USE HYPNOSIS AND TO TALK ABOUT IT despite the fact that science is not able to explain how it works; 4) I desire to underline and to repeat that, despite the many references in these reports to pathologies and problems (because I collaborate with physicians), HYPNOTHERAPY CURES NOTHING AND DOESN'T INTERFERE WITH CURES, but simply helps people to help themselves and to better cope with the situation, thus contributing to the good outcome of therapies, and above all it AIMS TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF LIFE IN A SIMPLE AND QUICK WAY; 5) finally, for PRIVACY reasons I have removed every personal data about the involved persons, I have presented every report in a concise and anonymous form, and in order to strictly adhere to my code of ethics, I have also omitted any expression of gratitude from those people.
- ARCHIVED CASES: one session (129, 127, 125, 117, 115, 114, 112, 111, 110, 109, 093, 089, 086, 083, 082, 074, 071, 061, 054, 050, 048, 045, 044, 038, 037, 024, 023, 019, 014, 013, 012, 010), two sessions (131, 128, 126, 123, 120, 108, 105, 104, 102, 095, 090, 088, 087, 081, 066, 065, 047, 046, 042, 035, 033, 017, 016), three sessions (106, 103, 100, 099, 098, 092, 085, 084, 077, 073, 062, 058, 055, 053, 041, 031, 030, 018, 001), four sessions (122, 121, 107, 101, 097, 096, 094, 068, 067, 049, 040, 032, 026), "hopeless" cases (124, 119, 116, 113, 091, 080, 078, 076, 075, 072, 070, 063, 060, 059, 057, 056, 052, 051, 036, 034, 028, 025, 022, 021, 020, 007, 006, 005, 004, 003), other experiences (132, 130, 118, 079, 069, 064, 043, 039, 029, 027, 015, 011, 009, 008, 002).
]. In this fast-changing world, it is vital to stay up to date but also to be suspicious and to consult several independent sources, included the unofficial ones and the counter-information. In fact the recent tragic economic crisis (2008-2013) has dramatically reduced the budget of national health systems and also of the patients, and this, according to some authors, has pushed the lobbies and the multinational companies to promote media campaigns by paying several mercenaries (ghostwriters, opinion leaders, etc.) in order to invent new risk factors and new illnesses, and thus increase the number of prospective patients. Another way of compensating, at least partially, the lost revenues, is to describe every approach to the person as clinical or curative, in order to try to monopolize it and prevent its diffusion. Fortunately, in the case of hypnosis the "academical" publications have clearly shown, in my opinion, that after two centuries of literature there has been no theoretic nor practical advancement, but only a mere confirmation and reconfirmation of the already well-known fact that hypnotism is innocuous and potentially useful, and therefore freely usable by anybody. In conclusion, I believe that it is emerging that the science not only has completely failed in explaining hypnotic phenomena, but also, sadly, it is less and less credible in a growing number of publications, where hypnotism is more or less discouraged or dismissed in order, I think, to protect the usual corporate interests. For example, about hypnotherapy PubMed lists tens of thousands of publications, but less than 50 on Ericksonian hypnotism (whose level and quality are infinitely superior). Despite these perplexities, I'm continuing to collect the most decent publications on hypnosis in my document called PHD (Professional Hypnosis Data-bank), which is now quite widespread in the world of professional hypnotherapy.
- 2019: PHD - Professional Hypnosis Data-bank (PDF, 4.7 MB).
- 2015: many scientific publications are incorrect (Lancet) (PDF, 262 KB).
Reproduction prohibited. Copyright © Alberto Torelli. All rights reserved